Thursday 8 August 2013

THE BED

The tinier one is , the bigger the world seems . That is why we grow up learning in steps , passing each grade as each year goes by . Then one day , we are just thrown out into the world to find a place for ourselves . Memories that were at the deepest of cellars at the bottom of the head begin to haunt us . They create a feeling of longing , a sort of inextinguishable thirst for our childhood life again .
So , in this mood , however you may interpret or imagine it to be , I lay on my narrow bed and lost myself in the memories of "the bed" . It is still here . My sister practically lives on it ! She spends her day sleeping in it , her night rolling on it with her laptop , and all her stuff are on it . She always races after the clock because she can't bring herself to get off it . I don't blame her though . It has been with her all her life . It is a typical double bed for a commoner . But to us , my sister , Tina and me , it is a lot more than just a bed .
When I was seven and she was thirteen , we imps used to build entire houses , complete with dining hall , kitchen , two bedrooms , two bathrooms , a living room , a store room and a balcony , with sarees on that bed . I would have trouble getting onto it because it was so high and it used to seem so large that I would be afraid to stay on it . Five people could squeeze into it , two of them being us imps . But , then , my mother used to feel like a scary giant .
I am taller than my mother now . The bed has trouble housing just three people . It is too short to roll on anymore . The world seems to have shrunk . But I don't seem to have grown bigger . I don't believe that I grew up . I think the bed grew small . 

1 comment:

  1. i feel this way about my life..the word around me seems to be shrinking. Everyday i lose a few people and no one takes their place...i wonder if one day the walls will crush me for i stand in their way to come together.


    p.s- checkout my blog pls

    ReplyDelete